I have been on Finasteride for 4 years and my hair didn’t really change much. I did, however stop the drug for the past two months, but am back on now. 1) could my hair have changed in those two months? 2) what pattern do I appear to be? 3) a reputable IAHRS surgeon consulted me and recommended 1200 graft FUE , what are your opinions on that?
If you trust your doctor then go with it!
The Internet is not a place to receive a second opinion.
If you would like a second opinion it is best to consult with another doctor in person.
Photo(s) are not a good way to determine if you are balding or if you “need” surgery for the following reasons:
1) There is no way to know your history in detail. This involves a dialogue between a doctor and patient. A consultation usually involves 30 minutes or more.
2) There is no way to examine your hair under a microscope to understand how much miniaturization you may have (to plan for a possible surgery). What will you do if you have further recession or balding after the surgery? Are you prepared to have another surgery to fill in the gaps? You need a Master Plan.
3) Photos do not convey your understanding or expectation of a hair transplant surgery. Someone with your hair loss may be happy with 1200 grafts. Another person with the exact same hair loss may not be happy with 1200 grafts.
4) Photos do not convey your goals. Someone with your hair loss may want a drastically low hair line where 1200 may not be enough. Another person with the exact same hair loss may want a very conservative hair line where 1200 may be too much.
5) FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction is just a harvesting technique. It has nothing to do with the end result. In fact FUE may give you a suboptimal result over a FUT (Strip) surgery. Did your doctor tell you this?